Monday, January 30, 2012

Smoky Bacon and Lentil Soup




Soup making and lets face it eating is a  thoroughly satisfying past time.
A great way for me of feeding my family with a warming tasty and very healthy ( well unless you start adding cream) meal.

Like a casserole, I feel I've in some way really cared for the family, not to mention my own tummy. You can halve this recipe if you have less mouths to feed or not enough space in the freezer. It makes a lot of broth , we love the taste so its a bonus.

This also works well blended to a smooth soup, just cut the bacon smaller before.
We like the chunkier texture and for us it can be eaten as a main meal and as I type I realise with potatoes added it certainly would.

Vegetarian option omit the bacon and use paprika for the smokey taste.


400g red lentils
250g rashers of smoked bacon cut into small pieces
2 onions finely chopped
2-3 clove garlic crushed
150g mushrooms chopped chunky and small
Frylight
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon of  chilli flakes
2-3 pint of stock (I made using Knorr ham stock cubes)


Over a med-low heat, gently cook the onions and garlic until soft , I use frylight in my Crafond, any large frying pan will do if you have a good saucepan and making half the amount,  you do it as a one pot job.

Add the bacon  and cook for a couple of minutes adding the mushrooms after a minute or two. Keep stirring until the bacon is cooked.



At this stage if you are making the double portion I've made, add the meat mixture to a large stockpot or pressure cooker sized pan.
Add in the lentils, tomatoes, two pints of the ham stock, chilli and add some black pepper.




Cook on a low heat for around 20 mins til the lentils are soft and the soup is thick and tasty! I found I had to add about half a pint more ham stock a little while before the end. I used the remaining to add a little liquid the following day.


Now all there is to do is enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment