Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Bar Keepers Friend Review


I love trying out cleaning products , not so hot on the cleaning part, more the product, while moving in to care for my Granny, it was interesting to look at all her cleaning products, Brasso, lots of bottles from Lakeland and Betterware, bicarb and vinegar too!

There was a bottle of Bar Keepers Friend, now most of these had been there for years and not wanting to have any chemical reactions, they were all disposed of.


When active, Granny's house was always gleaming, she had lots of products but also a vast array of natural products and always had a tip for getting rid of stains and cleaning tips for the home and garden.

I use vinegar regularly for limescale, bicarb to deodorise bathrooms and carpets and rhubarb for shiny pans.

The latter is particularly interesting as Bar Keepers Friend uses Oxalic Acid found in rhubarb which gives it the thumbs up from me. BKF owes its existence to rhubarb! Back in 1882 a chemist from Indianapolis noticed how clean and shiny his tarnished pot was after cooking rhubarb. Using an active ingredient that’s found in the plant he made a talcum smooth cleaner and sold it to the city’s taverns. It worked so well that it was called ‘Bar Keepers Friend’! BKF boasts a long and successful heritage that few modern day equivalent products can match.









Bar Keepers Friend asked me to try the original product along with  two new lines - new POWER Cream and new POWER spray.

Its had a little makeover and that is only fair as it was first launched in 1882 and we all need a little pampering.

Bar Keepers Friend also want to pamper my readers with a giveaway, but first the review

Now Bar Keepers friend had a claim, "Once Tried Always Used" and I decided to put it to the test.



I have been using it wherever I can, I have found it to be amazing on taps and sinks, I had been cleaning a mirror with it and as I went to the kitchen sink, I wiped it briefly over the tap, the gleam was instant, without any effort whatsoever. I have used it since on the kettle, my retro Brabantia 30 litre bin, reviewed last year. I love the real effortless way it works.

I must admit to finding the spray easy to use and I find it and the power cream great for everyday cleaning, they work well in the bathroom, cleaning glass and ceramic but the original powder really gets down to business.

I am going to shame myself now by showing you my oven door glass, with grease that had not been removed!  Please still visit!!


My door abandoned and appalling, baked on grease from the last 3 months, due to my hatred of cleaning ovens, doubly worsened by Chris loving to cook the Sunday roast with spitting goose fat and roasting meats.

I summoned up the will to tackle it, how do you clean your oven? Mine is supposedly self cleaning, but rather like my teens bedrooms, I find I have to do the dirty work myself!

Bar Keepers Friend cleaned the glass in minutes, without elbow grease or cursing from the reviewer!

Very impressed, it  gave a lovely shine. I demanded a family viewing and despite the sigh and rolling of eyes, by my fans I could see the glimmer of admiration!

Finally the weather is starting to warm up and I intend to use Bar Keepers Friend for cleaning our bikes and Chris wants to try it out on the car!

So back to the claim 'Once tried always used' yes I will always have a BKF in the cupboard!






  The original Bar Keepers Friend Stain Remover Powder (250g, RSP: £2.79) is a powder format that can be used on a damp cloth and for stubborn stains it can be made into a paste.

NEW Bar Keepers Friend Power Cream – a superior cream formulation that “cleans where others fail”.  Formulated for cookware, kitchens and bathrooms (350ml, RSP: £2.99).
NEW Bar Keepers Friend Power Spray - this easy-to-use format delivers BKF cleaning power for use in everyday cleaning situations, from kitchen and bathroom to stainless steel and glass (500ml RSP: £2.99).

BKF is available in Robert Dyas, Lakeland, John Lewis, Waitrose, independent homeware/hardware stores or online at www.barkeepersfriend.co.uk. It is distributed in the UK by Kilrock Products Ltd.



Now I have shamed myself and made BKF shine, I will get on with the giveaway!

One lucky Given To Distracting reader will win a year's supply of BKF comprising 4 x 3 of each variant, making one bottle for every month of the year. It's worth approx £50 (please note the basket isn't part of the prize).
Ends 14th May



No comments:

Post a Comment