Friday, June 15, 2012

Lemon and Blueberry Cake


 I popped a picture of a slice of my cake about a month ago on Facebook, it was rather blurred and I quipped I hadn't time to focus, I needed to eat the cake. I was asked so many times for the recipe that I decided to add it here.


I lay no claim to the creation, its a BBC Good Food recipe but I do intend to change the fruit from time to time, so will swap blueberries for raspberries and orange for lemon. But the light and moist original cannot be beaten.

What is fabulous is that my favourite flavour lemon, is enhanced by moist plump blueberries.


To make this even more tempting is the all in one method, it all goes in together bar the blueberries. I invested a hefty outlay for my Philips Robust Food processor and have to make sure it gets used enough to warrant the cost.
The recipe is originally a mix by hand but it turns out the same with the processor, I used  the mixing blade for about 1 minute, adjust according to your own machine.


As I mentioned the blueberries are not mixed in, even at the end, you pour half the batter into your tin, (Note its supposed to be lined, mine is quite good so I dont do this, just a quick grease!) then sprinkle over half the blueberries. 


Cover with batter and sprinkle remaining berries on top.

They remind me of little jewels

My only changes then are using a food processor, not lining my tin, swapping the caster sugar, I had no golden originally when making and it turned out so well, I see no need to buy it.
I suggest loosening the cake after baking, then tipping out after cooling, if you have lined the tin, you should have no difficulty.
Cool completely at this point it is vital you do not get tempted to tuck in, the zesty iced topping is worth the wait.
175g softened butter , plus extra for greasing
100g  Greek yogurt I use thickset
2 heaped tablespoon  lemon curd
3 free range eggs
zest and juice 1 unwaxed lemon
200g self-raising flour
175g golden caster sugar
200g of blueberries
140g icing sugar

 
Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease a 2lb loaf tin and line with a long strip of baking parchment.

Put  yogurt,  lemon curd, the softened butter, eggs, lemon zest, flour and caster sugar into a large mixing bowl. Quickly mix until the batter just comes together. I used the processor, an electric whisk will be good ot lots of elbow grease.

Pour half the batter into the loaf tin and sprinkle half the blueberries over the batter. 
Add the rest of the batter on top, then scatter the other half of the berries on top. I press them in slightly no need to do it, I just like to fiddle.

Bake for 1 hr 10 mins-1 hr 15 mins until golden, and a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean.

Cool in the tin for about 10-15 minutes then carefully lift onto a serving plate to ice. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in enough lemon juice to make a thick, smooth icing.

Spread over the top of the cake, then decorate as you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment