Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Aldi's Oliver Cromwell 1599 Premium Gin

Aldi’s Oliver Cromwell 1599 Premium Gin has been available in store from the 8th October and is sure to leave taste buds tingling. It recently scooped the Gin and Vodka Trophy (Gold best in class) at the International Wine and Spirit Competition.
I have only drank gin for about a year since I won a bottle of premium gin in a Jamie Oliver competition. I loved the taste of it and tried a cheaper brand after and wished I had not, I am definitely made for the finer things  in life, but have not the purse to accompany the aspirations!

Aldi sent me Oliver Cromwell 1599 Premium Gin and I decided to try the following weekend, not expecting  much but having been told it was the surprise winner of this years Gin & Vodka Association Trophy I was keen to see if it was as good as a premium gin. 

Wow is all I can say, it has a clear juniper taste, crisp, dry and fresh, really herby in aroma and taste. I liked it more with bitter lemon than tonic, I love citrusy flavours though as you know.

A wonderful price label at £8.99 compared to the £24 of the only other one I liked, I wholeheartedly suggest you give it a try.



 
Aldi’s award winning spirits buyer*: “We are thrilled that our gin has won the most prestigious spirits prize in the country, the Gin and Vodka Association Trophy, beating off some stiff competition.”

“This is the latest in a string of awards for Aldi and marks our twentieth award winning product at the IWSC Awards.
 
“Over the past six months, we have worked closely with our supplier to develop a premium gin that tastes as good as the big brands but without the hefty price tag. Our Oliver Cromwell 1599 Premium Gin is produced in small batches and filled into a distinctive 50cl bottle – the end result, a super premium product with a 40% abv (alcohol by volume).

 

“This product won’t be in store until October but it’s already creating a lot of buzz in the industry, having scooped the Gin & Vodka Association Trophy.”
 
Competitors

The following gins were Aldi’s main competitors for the IWSC title, however Oliver Cromwell’s 1599 Premium Gin scooped the award.

Gins in the “Super Premium Category”;

Tanqueray 10 – £25.99, 70cl

Hendricks – £22.26, 70cl

Beefeater 24 – £21.59, 70cl (Last year’s winner)









Oliver Cromwell 1599 Premium Gin - £8.99, 50cl each



No comments:

Post a Comment