Thursday, January 20, 2011

Stewed!! Review


I love stew!!

Not one of those awful confessions that I have added recently read my Meme!

I cook a lot of it its satisfying and warming and I can eat it just as much in the summer as in the winter.

I do not always eat ready meals, sometimes it seems that I have them to review and then I go back to home cooking, buy increasingly we are a family on the run and I do look out for fast food to feed us when i have not the time or inclination to cook.

I saw Stewed at the Good Food Show definitely in November, again I believe at another show a year ago. I love tasting new foods and tried Stewed and was impressed then by the fresh tasty samples. So impressed I wanted to review them properly.
The show stand they had was swamped with customers and several times throughout the day I walked by and they were busy selling and dishing up little pots of the range, far too busy for me to bother.
I headed to the press room and grabbed some info and here I am kindly supplied with some Stewed pots.


I loved the Thai Chicken Stew I was about to say best but I cannot pick one that was better so will describe my experience.
Thai green curry is up there for my favourite Thai meal so I was not sure if I would like it. Its definitely stew but definitely Thai green curry if that makes sense. The flavours of coconut, coriander and lime are very present. I loved the chunks of sweet potato and carrot that added the stew feel.
I ate this straight from the pot but wished I had cooked some Jasmine rice or noodles  as it would have made a good meal.

Stewed say in their newsletter
This month, we’ve teamed up with Tilda basmati rice to bring you a great offer on Ocado.com. If you buy 2 pots of Thai chicken stew, you’ll get a pack of Tilda steamed basmati rice for free! It’s a perfect quick dinner for 2 or a couple of tasty lunches for you in the week. Hurry though, the offer ends 25th January.


The Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Feta Stew was strangely the one that I decided may not be for me and yet the flavours blew me away.
It was smoky, spicy, the chickpeas and sweet potato made it substantial, I was very full after this, a nice hunk of wholemeal bread and a glass of rioja I think next time.

The Hungarian Goulash Beef Stew was again  bearing in mind I make this meal from scratch, it was satisfyingly spicy with a nice full beefy flavour. I ate from the pot but this would be lovely with rice or potatoes.

The last one I tried was the chorizo, chickpea and pork stew, it was tomatoey, spicy, again lovely substantial pieces of meat and vegetables.

You will see five pots on the photos, that's because there is a new addition to the range Bob's British beef in ale and its a recipe inspired by a Design a Stew winner Bob Smith  Its in Sainsbury’s right now where you can buy Bob’s beef in ale with 25% off for a limited period only.

So there you have it, I am definitely buying more, I am impressed with the fresh ingredients the taste and have to say the speed in which I can get a taste of a homemade stew and the whole family will be fed well and healthily.
Please Stewed if you read this Lancashire Hotpot please!

Stewed cost £3.79 and are available from Sainsbury's, Budgens and Waitrose

Stewed also have a book ot Stewed 80 Irresistable Stews and One Pot Wonders
Published by Ebury Press, 7th October 2010, £14.99 Hardback
Read my review

No comments:

Post a Comment