Thursday, November 10, 2011

Courgette and Leek Bake


This is one of my favourite dishes for the colder weather, it makes the best of seasonal vegetables namely courgettes and leeks, simple to make and the main reason its mighty tasty. Cheese and leeks go so well together and the courgettes often underused take on a different taste grated this way.
The eggs give it a quiche like texture and make it a light fluffy dish.

My picture above does not do it justice, I have eaten this lots and keep forgetting to photograph it. The aroma of it cooking makes me forget to get the camera out. So I will replace the picture when my love affair with the dish has settled!!!


Its a lovely lunch for two or as I have discovered a fab accompaniment to a roast dinner a tasty alternative if you have cut out stuffing but still like a savoury side on the plate while I was heading for my target.

For Slimming World members it is free (minus the mustard).

I use half a HexB for oil between 4 this is tiny but I would still syn at half, though it works well with Frylight. 2 HexA's for the cheese so half the dish is your daily if you use low fat heddar, Sainsburys, light mature is very  good.

I recommend you keep the mustard you can leave it out but it brings out the flavour of the cheese and is a paltry.
For those not on any eating plans, this recipe has been adapted and tweaked as I always do from gratin recipes and a bake on Minimins, this dish is often with cream, so feel free to add that if you prefer it.

Courgette and Leek bake

Serves 4-6 as a side dish or 2 for a lunch/main


1 tbsp olive oil/ or Frylight
2 large leeks, washed, trimmed and finely chopped
3 courgettes, trimmed and grated
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 large eggs
84 grated low fat mature cheddar cheese
2 tsp English mustard
Preheat the oven to 180C Gas 5





In a heavy based frying pan heat oil/frylight and gently cook leeks,
courgette and garlic till softened  for at least 10 minutes.

In a bowl add remaining ingredients and mix well.
Press mixture down into a suitable shallow dish and cover with a piece of oiled tin foil
Cook in the oven 50 mins
Remove foil and cook for a further 10 mins. Leave to stand for 10 mins before serving
Inspire Me Beautiful
Click here
This has been added to the lovely White Lily Green Handmade Thursday link too, checkout all the lovely homemade items and perhaps add yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment