Saturday, October 8, 2011

WorldFoods My Pad Thai offering


Thailand is the next stop for us on the Global Fusion Taste journey, now I for one am very happy with this part of the journey as its a favourite country for my cooking. 

Funnily I was actually in Ireland staying with my cousin when I first tried Thai food (not all that authentic for Irish cuisine!) with her tasty recipe passed on by a friend who had not long visited Thailand I came home with the recipe and since have had great fun trying as amny recipes as I can find time for.

TheGlobal Taste Team run by Worldfoods is growing and now bloggers from the UK  US and Asia are all trying out the recipes  and its so cool to see the different takes on a dish.

This week we were challenged to make Pad Thai, known as the national dish of Thailand.

As is my want I love delving into the history of anything I'm reviewing, so went looking into Pad Thai's background. I  found that Pad Thai is a dish thats been made for centuries in Thailand then Siam, but became very popular and the national dish in the 1930's when the then priminister wanted to reduce rice consumption in Thailand it was his campaign for Thai nationalism.



Again we are using the WorldFood products this gives a fast authentic flavour as I found out tonight I'm using the
WORLDFOODS Thai ‘Pad Thai’ Noodle Sauce

On a separate note after successfully finding the more unusual ingredients, galangal, green peppercorns etc last week for China,  see here http://given-to-distracting-others.blogspot.com/2011/09/worldfoods-fusion-of-flavours-recipe.html
I actually got stumped by the flat rice noodles. So hard to find due to no longer stocking in two shops, broken down food fridges in another , oh and a daughter leaving a pack she found in Waitrose to fester in her college bag!!
Still never one to give up, I managed to find some.


My Pad Thai is made with chicken as Paige does not like prawns, I fried the chicken in fry light until cooked. Then I added thinly sliced peppers and fried until soft. Then the Pad Thai Noodle sauce which for all my Slimming World member followers is 6 syns for the whole bottle and served four of us so say 2 syns. Brought to the boil and added beansprouts, then the flat rice noodles, snipped in the chives, chilli flakes as we love it hot. 
I omitted the peanuts, two of us do not like them, the other two not too fussed either way.
I served with lime wedges, chives to decorate and coriander, (oops forgot to photograph the coriander and then was too hungry to take another pic!)

Can you blame me for missing the coriander snapshot?

Result. A light spicy and sweet meal. Spicy, sweet, aromatic and gone in minutes. The lime, chives and coriander added a freshness.The Pad Thai sauce lent a really authentic taste, again natural and fresh tasting. I so want to try again with prawns and more chilli!



Next up I'm staying in Thailand for a Tom Yum Paste recipe get ready for hot hot hot with a seafood fried rice.

Pad Thai, by May Foong
Serves 2-3 people
Ingredients:
100g (or any combination of) Prawns / Chicken / Tofu
20g Chives, cut into 2” length
100g Bean sprouts
80g Flat rice noodles (you can substitute with other noodles if you wish)
1 bottle WORLDFOODS Thai ‘Pad Thai’ Noodle Sauce
2 tbsp cooking oil
*Optional – add eggs (within the stir fry or as an omelette), spring onions, fish sauce, extra chilli pepper into the stir fry
Garnishing:
Pounded roasted peanuts
Coriander
Lime wedges
Chilli flakes
Sugar optional (palm sugar traditionally added in Thailand)
Cooking Instructions:
1. Blanch the noodles in boiling water for 3 minutes untill semi-soft. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat flavourless oil such as groundnut oil in a wok and pan fry the prawns until they turn pink, and set aside.
3. Pour in WORLDFOODS Thai ‘Pad Thai’ Noodle Sauce and bring to boil.
4. Add in the noodles and prawns and toss gently till well mixed.
5. Plate up the noodles and prawns, and add the chives and bean sprouts.
6. Garnish with roasted peanuts, chili flakes and lime wedges.
7. Enjoy!

You can follow Worldfoods Fusion Taste Team on Twitter @fusiontasteteam and don't forget to check out the Wordfoods Facebook Page. You will see lots of other bloggers trying out the same dish in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment