Thursday, August 15, 2013

Aah Bisto Meatballs and Mash



My meatball recipes in the past have been a spicy or tomato based dish. I realised talking to my friend yesterday who is from St Kitts that my cooking catalogue tends to be global and I rarely make midweek meals that are English. That said the meatball I made for the Bisto challenge have herbs in that are Italian flavoured so I still did not quite make it.


What I loved about the recipe was making smaller meatballs meant they could be oven baked in 15 minutes, this helps with the broken finger problem. I will be doing this again as it was easier and healthier without frying even in Frylight or low cal oil sprays. 

The carrot made them moister, then the Bisto added a lovely rich beefy flavour. I am actually sold on the taste of Bisto granules, as I said before my Sunday roast gravy has always been Bisto powder. Its three generations of family that have used it. But I will be using this as a fast option more now especially on weekdays.

Savoy cabbage was a perfect accompaniment, I love the tatse and surprisingly Paige ate a mega plate full too, I think the gravy helped.

For my Slimming World eating, (now at target, but still am careful to stay that way) its good. Bisto Favourite Gravy Granules are 1 syn per tsp, six tsps used, serving four,so 1 and 1/2syns. As I rarely get through my daily syn allowance,this makes for quicky low syn meals, I am happy with those figures.

The recipe below also has milk for the mash,so check your allowance if you are on Slimming World and I suggest fat free fromage frais or your usual mash recipe.



Serves: 4
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
You will need the following:
• 1kg (2lb 4oz) potatoes, cut into chunks
• 500g (1lb 2oz) extra lean minced beef
• 1 large carrot, grated 
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
• 1 small Savoy or white cabbage, shredded
• 2 tablespoons milk 
• 6 heaped teaspoons Bisto Favourite Gravy Granules
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1.Preheat the oven to 200°C / fan oven 180°C / Gas Mark 6.
2.Put the potatoes into a large saucepan. Cover with boiling water and add a pinch of salt. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
3.Meanwhile, put the mince into a mixing bowl and add the carrot, onion and herbs. Season with salt and pepper, then shape into about 24 meatballs (it helps if you have wet hands). Put them onto 2 baking sheets as you make them. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
4.Shortly before the meatballs are ready, cook the cabbage in a small amount of boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Drain the potatoes, then mash them with the milk and season with black pepper.
5.Sprinkle the 6 teaspoons of Bisto Favourite Gravy Granules into a jug, add 450ml (3/4 pint) boiling water and stir until thickened and smooth. 
Serve with the meatballs, mash and cabbage.

Bisto Gravy Granules are available in Favourite, Chicken, Onion, Turkey, Vegetable, and Reduced Salt varieties, there's a flavour to suit all dishes. 



Disclosure I was sent Bisto Gravy Granules and a £20 shopping voucher to cook the meals. No other incentive or payment was given. My views are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment