Thursday, February 16, 2012

New Elderflower & Blackcurrant Granola from Dorset Cereals


 I have just had a fantastic breakfast, its the new Elderflower and Blackcurrant Granola from Dorset Cereals a very clever Dorset Cereals Facebook fan, Tina Mansfield entered a competition to create a new granola and deservedly won.

Scattered through my blog is my love of Elderflower, including Bottlegreen whose cordial is used in the granola. I had never considered it as an addition to cereal, but it works so well.


You get a lovely delicate taste of it in every spoon. Despite there being blackcurrants, it still melds together well, you get a sharp burst of fruit, a sweet taste of strawberry and the perfumed elderflower.

All this in a bowl of crunchy oats, barley, sunflower seeds and golden syrup.

The texture is light, crisp, it reminds me of a good flapjack, one that is nibbled on a summers day.

It even turns the milk a lovely lilac colour and that is as pleasing.

I am sad to say its a limited edition, as I would like this to be a permanent fixture on my breakfast menu.
A pot of tea, a home-baked cake or reading a postcard at home, some things are just better when they are done properly and with care, like our brand-new limited edition Elderflower and Blackcurrant Granola.
Developed by Tina Mansfield - a fan of ours on facebook who entered our competition to find a new recipe - it includes rolled oats, sunflower seeds, barley flakes, blackcurrants and strawberries, gently baked with elderflower cordial – from our friends at Bottlegreen - in flapjack trays to give a loose and ‘tumbley’ granola. This deliciously delicate recipe is perfect with milk, creamy yoghurt, sprinkled over ice cream or straight out the box.


Tina said: “I wanted to taste a granola that had a flavour of summer and was made from the things I grew in my garden, Elderflower and Blackcurrants. I am thrilled that Dorset Cereals chose my suggestion and I have really enjoyed testing and developing the recipe with them. It was a proud moment when my idea turned up on shelf in my local Waitrose.”


Dorset Cereals‘ first limited edition Granola begins a series of flavours following the facebook competition and will sit alongside our best-selling ‘Honey Granola’, and our deliciously indulgent Fairtrade ‘Chocolate and Macadamia Granola’.

Granola the way it should be; crisp, light and baked to perfection here in Dorset. Available from Waitrose, Sainsbury’s and Tesco stores from January 2012 - £3.99 for a 550g box


Hello from Dorset........
Our award-winning breakfast cereals are created in Poundbury, and are all made to recipes which are packed with goodness - Mueslis, Granolas, Porridges, Tasty Flakes and Cereal Bars. For recipes, photos, competitions to win lovely things and news about simple pleasures go to www.dorsetcereals.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment