Saturday, August 25, 2012

This week I have mostly been filthy!!




Its been a thought provoking week. I have been working like a navvy, clearing the house, clearing a shed with many a creepy crawly having lived undisturbed for 4 years, I have seen many species of spider and become immune to them.

The presence of a rat visitor who lost his way and ran in the kitchen last week, kept Sue (my Aunty) at the shed door with sack, gloves and a stance of Usain Bolt ready to take off if any rodent relative appeared. I was thrown in with hoe to make lots of noise and gingerly remove old bags and boxes!


The only mammal we found was a dead mouse poor thing had got into a filing cabinet made a bed and then unable to escape had perished literally it was like a papier mache model.

The hard work which before the beginning of August consisted of mere housework has been at times so physically tiring I have fallen asleep slumped over my laptop! The day I think of  a day of groans saw Sue and I shovelling rubble and tarmac into a skip, we filled it in two hours and it was a biggie! It was hilarious as we started realising a heavy wheelbarrow just does not go over a skip ledge if you are not musclebound, we nearly ended feet up in the mud and muck!

This all done after we had just cleared the shed and been shopping for bedding, I never thought I would walk upright again. When I arrived home absolutely black and needing a bath, the thermostat had packed up, so no hot water. I just sat on a chair feeling like a dead thing from a horror movie! My friend rescued me with a hot bath and Chris supplied fish and chips and sanity was restored.

At the beginning this task seemed impossible, now we can see a garden shaped green space, due to lots of chopping which sadly had to be done, the trees had all crowded in pushing shrubs into gnarled stumps.  We discovered the lost greenhouse so overgrown we thought it had been stolen. It needs new panes and a tidy up, but I already dreaming of home grown veggies and Granny giving me advice, she had a vine in there at one stage. Cucumbers, courgettes, all manner of produce she grew with amazing expertise!


We had taken lots of wood to the tip, but decided to have a bonfire each day to make faster progress!
Although I did love the beauty of the wilderness that had taken over, the undisturbed haven for birds has to make room for people again, bird tables being added from mine as I spotted a Thrush, not seen one for years.


The house has a wet room taking shape, cracked sewage pipe fixed, the builder Mick Vernall if you live in Peterborough an amazing craftsman who has worked into late evenings to help, and fixed so many things. He put a new bay window the one above will be recycled to pane the shed and other bits it was finished on Friday, even down to releading the bay roof and painting the sill.

He has gone above and beyond a normal builders day, fixed little problems and even stopped moaning about my rubbish tea making. I like mine like a builder  strong and little milk and he likes his with soya milk and it  resembles the liquid from a gnat!!

Now begins the joy of of putting the room together and adding back lots of wonderful ornaments and pictures that Granny holds dear! The wallpaper is on, nw curtains and carpets and I did then have a few tears as I see the love and hard work given by family and friends!


The old 60's gas fire condemned and gone to reveal an amazing tiled fireplace and its been cleaned up and the greens in it will be in touches of decor in the room that is the new bed sitting room. 

Will be bringing you more news of this next weeks happenings soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment