Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Geeta's Spice Route Review



Geeta Samtani has spent years researching recipes in India and the recipes have been handed down the family for generations. I am glad they decided to share them, I have tried a few dishes at the Good Food show and usually grab a few mixes to try out myself.

The new spice Route range is the latest and I was sent two to try for myself.

Now I can easily grab spices from my two large spice crates and blend, but I am so so busy now, these ready made mixes suit me well.


I decided to try the kebab mix for my readers as its a food I love but try and avoid as its generally quite unhealthy, made at home though with lean lambs mince or even chicken its a tasty healthier option.



I omitted the oil in the mix and saving further time I put the entire mixture in a loaf tin to cook in the oven. Then sliced the meatloaf and served in wonderful fresh naans for a local Indian supermarket I am lucky enough to be near.

For Slimming World followers lambs mince from Asda the one that is under 16% fat makes one quarter portion work out at 4 syns if like me you omit the oil.




The finished result is lovely, different taste from the kebab meat in a shop, this is spicy, really flavoursome and so easy to make.


Full of a mixture of expertly selected Indian herbs and spices, Geeta’s new Spice Route range is sure to add some much-needed flavour into your kitchen whilst making it simple to prepare delicious, authentic Indian food at home.



Choose from a selection of seven tasty combinations including Dhansak, Tandoori, Rogan Josh, Keralan, Tikka and Kebab and combine with vegetables, meat or fish of your choice to make a tasty regional Indian meal – perfect to warm you up on these colder winter evenings.



The versatile range is priced at £1.39 for a 30g pack, enough for four servings, and can be used as a marinade to make a curry or as seasoning mix for spicy kebabs or meatballs. Each spice mix is from a particular region of India and champions the spices and herbs typical of that area.



As a perfect dry marinade why not grill or BBQ chicken or prawns with either the Tandoori mix combining roasted cumin, ginger and cardamom, or the Tikka, which has a zingy blend of roasted coriander, cardamom and chilli before cooking? Or if you’re looking for more of a sauce-based dish then try the Keralan, Rogan Josh, Chettinad or Dhansak mix and follow Geeta’s simple recipe, which is included on each packet.



The Kebab mix blends the Indian spice blend Garam Masala with roasted cumin and black pepper and is perfect mixed with minced lamb to make delicious Indian kofta or meatball. This is proving the belief of Geeta’s that Indian cooking methods are simply a balance of a few good quality ingredients and the spice route range aims to inspire you to be adventurous in the kitchen and try new recipes.



Using recipes handed down through the generations of Geeta Samtani’s family as well as Geeta’s personal research and travels across India, the Spice Route range truly celebrates India’s vast culinary regions including Gujarat, Kerala, Punjab and Kashmir.   



The Geeta’s Spice Route range is available from Asda, www.geetasfo ods.com and from various independent retailers priced at £1.49.



For recipe inspiration or more information visit www.geetasfoods.com and follow us on Twitter (@GeetasFoods)

 Disclosure I was given a free product. I was under no obligation to receive the sample or talk about this company. I get no additional benefits for talking about the product or company.



No comments:

Post a Comment