Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Provamel Yogurt Recipes Autumnal Fruit Pavlova


Back in spring when the blossoms were bursting, lambs were frolicking and the promise of summer was in the future I reviewed  Provamel Lime and Lemon Balm yogurt and their Green Tea and Apple Yogurt. I was pleasingly surprised by these healthy products.

Mentions of soya, fibre, green tea, health gave me an expectation of good nutrition but did not prepare me for a taste sensation. The lime and lemon was heavenly  a fabulous burst of citrus on the tongue. The sweet and wonderfully distinctive apple and green tea so good, lovely bites of apple pieces and wonderfully light.

As I said back then these taste far too naughty to be healthy, yet they are indeed good for you.

Provamel uses the goodness of the whole soya bean to ensure you get the best of the nutrient-rich, organic soya beans it uses. The beans are a great source of protein, soluble fibre and vitamins.

For those with lactose intolerance or cows’ milk protein allergy, soya is dairy-free and as a result, completely suitable to consume. More and more people with and without allergies are including soya in their diet in order to maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle.

Now skip past wet soggy summer and we are moving into my favourite season, the leaves turning many shades of golds, coppers and browns. Crisp clear mornings Children back to school, conkers, Halloween soon here.  Talking of Halloween, the vegetables that start to appear, courgettes, pumpkins and all manner of squashes. The gorgeous fruit at this time of year, plums, pears and rhubarb all demanding a place in your menu.

So for Autumn Provamel sent me some of their stunning recipes that celebrate the ending of summer and the beginnings of autumn. They also kindly sent me the ingredients to make some to share with you.

To say goodbye to summer I am making Strawberry Eton mess using the Provamel Lime and Lemon Balm.
This has to be a favorite dish and my passion for citrus is also sated, I've never considered adding lemon flavour into one.

To welcome in autumn, I am attempting (gulps) an Autumnal Fruit Pavlova using the Green Tea and Apple Provamel yogurt.


First up I had great fun making a meringue base for the pavlova. I can't believe I've never made one as I thought it might go terribly wrong. 

I kept looking at it in the oven, as I could not quite believe I had made it.

Before cooking


Considering I will happily make a Lemon Meringue it was long overdue and I was immensely proud of my pavlova base. It looked like a real one!!!

The hard part was leaving it overnight to dry out, I get so impatient and rush things, but I am glad I waited.

Grilling the fruit was a new method as well, I fully intend to do this again as the pear and plums slowly cooking with the sugar and soya margarine made for a lovely toffee apple smell.
I did add the hazelnuts but after I had taken my piece as I'm not so keen.


The meringue was gloriously gooey in the centre, the fruity taste so good. The yogurt actually made this less cloying than a cream base. You can see the cracks appearing, I actually recommend that you top just before you serve.

There was a noisy crack and it was rather like a landslide as the weight of the fruits took out the middle. This became more the mess than the Eton Mess.

I think the finished result looked very impressive, is actually gloriously simple to make  and very autumnal indeed.
There was complete silence and then just murmurs of loving words for mum and wifey!!
Feeling quite smug!



Strawberry Eton Mess with Provamel Lime and Lemon Balm Yogurt and Lime Syrup


Preparation Time: 15-20 mins
Cooking Time: 8 mins
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
350g strawberries, sliced
40g ready-made meringues
250g Provamel Lime and Lemon Balm Yogurt
Small bunch of mint, roughly chopped (reserve 4 sprigs for garnish)
1 tbsp granulated sugar

For the syrup:
75g caster sugar
50ml water
Juice of 2 limes
Zest of 1 lime
5 cardamom pods, seeds removed
2 sprigs of mint

Method:


To make the syrup, add the sugar, water and cardamom seeds to a small pan and heat over a low flame, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has turned syrupy, remove from the heat and add in the mint sprigs, lime zest and juice and put to one side to infuse.
     Add half the strawberries to a bowl along with the granulated sugar and crush with the end of a rolling pin. Fold the crushed strawberries, mint, remaining chopped strawberries and broken meringues into the Provamel Lime and Lemon Balm Yogurt, creating a marbled affect.
    Strain the lime syrup through a sieve into a small jug.
    Spoon the strawberry mixture into four serving bowls and drizzle with the lime syrup. Finish with a sprig of mint in each and serve.
 Autumnal Fruit Pavlova

Preparation Time: 2 hrs
Cooking Time: 1 ½ hrs
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
350g Provamel Apple and Green Tea Yogurt
4 egg whites
150g caster sugar
140g light brown muscovado sugar (90g for the pavlova and 50g for caramelising fruit)
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp corn flour
4 plums
1 pear, sliced
120g blackberries
30g toasted hazelnuts, chopped
60g soya margarine

Method:
Pre-heat over to 120 ºC/250 ºF/Gas Mark ½
Using a large, clean mixing bowl and an electric hand whisk; whisk the egg whites until forming soft peaks. Turn the whisk up to top speed and gradually add in the sugars, a tablespoon at a time, until all incorporated. Gently fold in the corn flour and white wine vinegar.
Spoon the mixture on to a flat baking tray lined with baking parchment, making a circular shape about 25 cm across.

Bake in the oven for 1 ½ hrs. Turn the oven off but leave the meringue in for at least 2 hrs or overnight with the door shut - this allows the meringue to dry out properly.
Cut the plums in half and remove the stones. Place on a baking tray along with the sliced pear, and sprinkle with the remaining 40g muscovado sugar and dot with the soya margarine before placing under a hot grill for 5-10 mins until sticky and soft.
Top the pavlova base with the Provamel Apple and Green Tea Yogurt and top with the plums, pears, blackberries and toasted hazelnuts.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment