Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Vegan Cookbook The Essential Guide review



Now you know if you read the blog, I'm not vegan, but by now you may have discovered that I am mad on food and cooking it in different ways. I have a heap of vegetarian books, I find them great as I love all manner of dishes and there are often as not a great few ideas for vegetables and pulses that you just won't find in a mixed cookbook.
I have eaten vegan a good few times and cooked it for friends, I love the innovative dishes that often come up when looking, so when asked if I would feature the Vegan Cookbook The Essential Guide (Isabel Hood) and get a chance to have a copy my husband groaned as did my recipe shelves (yes shelves plural).

He does not groan when I cook an amazing dish for him though and the book I started to browse looked promising.

The book has great potential for anybody interested in flavours, it gives a vegan store cupboard list, then moves on to basic sauces and making salsas and grilled vegetables to add to or accompany dishes.

What brings this above the perceived nut roast and lentil burger diet is the great use of herbs and spices and you know I love my spicy fare.

There is a fabulous dish of Cauliflower with a Mexican slant, which as I've struggled with the blandness of a plain vegetable for years is a revelation.

It has inspired me to use spice in more vegetables, my tip cumin on glazed carrots.
There is a great section on pulses chickpeas being a favourite, I'm keen to try a newer recipe Savoury Chickpeas with Oregano Pesto than the one I recently posted here a superb cooking with chillis and hot spices section.

I would have loved to see some photographs in the book as its nice to get an idea how the dish should look, but I also get the fun of seeing a tasty meal appear with no real idea how it will be.

Priced £9.99
Buy online at

No comments:

Post a Comment