Thursday, October 18, 2012

Banana Cake Recipe




This is the standby recipe I rely on, one for a quick cake two for using up bananas that are a bit past their best, so it appeals to my idea of frugality and not wasting food.
Its easy to make and yet it impresses most visitors. Its a cheap humble cake which can be turned into a marvellous dessert by heating a slice, drizzling over some toffee sauce and ice cream, I sometimes serve with strawberries and cream.

 Especially now I am pushed for time around the clock, that I even managed to bake a cake at the moment actually amazes me.

I use three bananas, now if you have only a lonely one languishing in the fruit bowl, just freeze it, no need to peel or even wrap, just pop it in and when you have another browning beauty or two, then you can defrost and get baking.
No need to buy fresh ones unless of course you would just purchase for this cake.

I have used dark brown sugar as well, it gives a deeper flavour and colour to the cake.

Another tip of mine is not to mash all the banana, I chop some of the pieces to give a nice banana bite to the sponge.

Ok so here is my foolproof fast cake.


Ingredients
3 ripe bananas mashed and or chopped.
(6oz) self raising flour
(6oz) soft brown sugar
1 egg
75g (3oz) butter or good margerine
4 tbsps milk. (I use skimmed)
Pinch of salt

Method

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3 Fan 140 or 170C
Grease a medium loaf tin.
To a large bowl add and mix the sugar, half the flour, salt and the sgg.
Melt the butter in a pan, add the milk to the melted butter and stir.


Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and beat well.


Add the remaining flour and banana and stir well.


Pour the batter into the tin and cook for 1 to 1 hour 15 minutes. I find that my fan oven can reduce the time to about 50 minutes so keep an eye on it.
Served hot or cold this is gorgeous.



No comments:

Post a Comment