Monday, October 22, 2012

Scotch Brite Review



As many of you know I have recently moved house and as well as caring for my family and my Granny, we are also in the middle of updating the house. This means I have limited kitchen space as a third went towards a downstairs bathroom for Granny. The kitchen is in missing cupboards, worktops and the old artex removed. This makes for a rather dusty environment and I am now cleaning this area more than I am used to. I am still cooking for the blog and for the family, so its important to keep it clean as always.

Scotch Brite recently asked me if I wanted to take part in a small test to put their products through the hoops and at the same time compare them with two of their competitors. These were marked A and B.

Now please stay with me,housework can be a dull job when cleaning alone.



I decided to start with the multi purpose scourers. I think this is one of the most useful cleaning aids in my kitchen. I have many appliances, pots and pans that say use a non stick friendly scourer. I find they clean better than a cloth on baked on grease and they protect my cookware too. I set to work using A, B and Scotch Brite and I have to say that A performed least well. It was OK, did not scratch as promised but also did not hold up against greasy nooks and crannies.


B above,performed well, it cleaned baked on grease on my grill pan base.
I did find the Scotch Brite shape easier to hold, its slimmer and seems tougher, it also not being too spongy so did not set my teeth on edge, a common complaint of mine. Certain fibres have this  same effect for me similar to somebody hearing chalk squeaking on a blackboard.

Heavy Duty Scourers were up next, now I do not use these much nowadays, even on my cooker, however, I did have my grill pan  that needed a few baked on spots removing.


 Again B performed well, A also performed well though it was a flimsier scourer. I have not taken pictures of the competitors as they all look similar.



       Lastly Sponge cloths The Scotch Brite claim to hold 10 times their own weight, what I liked about them was the softness much like a cotton dish cloth (my usual choice of cloth) for being able to crumple up and use in corners.

Again B was a good cloth,  sadly A was the worst in fact of all the different dish washing items I was sent. It was too rigid, did not mop up water as well and has been consigned to the bathroom as a throwaway cloth.

So I am thoroughly cleaned up in the kitchen and one change I will make definitely, are the sponge cloths, they are soft enough to use. The bright colours also make a nice change from my usual white dishcloths.



http://www.3mselect.co.uk/


-      Sponge Cloths pack of 5 , available from Waitrose. RRP £2.49.

-      Heavy Duty Scourer, available from Waitrose. RRP £1.15

-      Multi-purpose cellulose scourer, available from Waitrose. RRP £1.19.


Disclosure I was given free products in order to trial the Scotch Brite. I was under no obligation to receive the sample or talk about this company. I get no additional benefits for talking about the product or company.





No comments:

Post a Comment