Sunday, October 7, 2012

GarlicCard Review


garliccard_turquoise_lo.jpg

I love a new kitchen gadget, though I was surprised to learn that the GarlicCard  is not a new invention, more a newly improved kitchen accessory. As I use garlic a lot from cooking to using it for garlic flavoured breads and naans,  but first I was interested to hear how the idea came about, I  just love this story of 

Mother is the necessity of invention certainly is covered here. A Swedish chef on a fishing trip was preparing his evening meal when he realised he’d forgotten to pack a garlic crusher, knowing that his dish would not taste quite the same without a hint of garlic he decided to improvise.  Reaching for his wallet he pulled out his credit card rubbed the clove of garlic against the embossed letters and numbers, resulting in perfectly pureed garlic and so the GarlicCard was born.

I imagine this would have taken a little time to achieve, given the small amount of embossing on a credit card, I imagine too the card was a bit whiffy after. 

The original form was a flat card much like the credit card, the new version is more ergonomic and even easier to use.  In its original form the GarlicCard was a flat credit style card grater, the new version now features an ergonomic finger grip that can be used by either right or left handed people.  



I found it easy to use, the garlic handily was more puree than crushed when I used it. That may be the way I applied it, however I will be using this when I need pureed garlic in some of the curry pastes I make.

I did find that my hands smelt very garlicky, if you don't mind this, there are some great kitchen hand washes now for ridding the smell from skin.

Where I find this coming into its own is for ginger, I really find grating ginger a chore, the stringiness makes it tough going. It easily dealt with a large chunk required for one of my recipes.

I will be using this on holiday as its a tiny handy gadget that takes up little room and does its job.





Whilst the concept for the GarlicCard remains the same; a hand held grater that allows you to grate cloves of garlic and even fresh ginger quickly and easily; the design has been updated to create something that is more ergonomic and even easier to use.  

Unlike traditional garlic presses the new GarlicCard is quick and easy to clean.  Simply run the GarlicCard under the tap to wash away excess garlic or pop in the dishwasher.  Made from ridged plastic this new version still features the patented embossed grating surface that is gentle on your fingers and nails whilst still producing perfectly prepared garlic every time. The curved end of the grater can also be used to spread the prepared garlic onto foods such as garlic for garlic bread or brushcetta.


The rigid nature of the new GarlicCard also means that it can be used anywhere, whether that be in the kitchen or outdoors whilst barbecuing.  It’s small and light enough to pop in your pocket and would make a great addition to your camping, caravanning or self catering holiday kit.  Available in six colours red, yellow, blue, green, pink and black this colourful grater is sure to be put to good use.

£2.75 currently at Colanders Cook Shop £1 off retail price.
http://www.colanderscookshop.co.uk/product91630/garlic-card--assorted-colours.aspx


www.garliccard.com


 Disclosure I was given a free product. I was under no obligation to receive the sample or talk about this company. I get no additional benefits for talking about the product or company.



No comments:

Post a Comment