Monday, December 13, 2010

Chantra Authentic Thai curry kits Review



We love Thai Food, I have mainly in cooking gone for the Green and Red Thai curry when cooking, I first ate it at my cousins in Ireland, her then boyfriend had been backpacking in Thailand so made it for her, she then grabbed the recipe and fed me. I came back to the UK with the recipe and started to cook it for my family and friends.
I love authentic ingredients but some were hard to source and to be honest even now it is a pricey affair and so when I was offered the chance to review a Thai curry kit from Chantra, I was keen to try.
They offered me the Massaman kit a milder version, not knowing I love fiery flavours, so I at first thought I may be disappointed.
I was happily mistaken, it has a suggestion to add part of the paste if you like mild and for extra heat you just add the entire packet. I am sold on the taste of the Massaman dish, so thank you Chantra for introducing me to something new.



What I love id that all the spices and ingredients that give the flavour are there, I just provided the meat and potatoes and if I wanted peanuts which I did not add.
I also used chicken as that's what I had to hand when I fancied making it, the packet suggests beef. It worked with the chicken perfectly.
Another new product and one I had not heard of was Red Thai Rice.

 
Bursting with vitamins and minerals as only the husks are removed during the milling process, Thai red rice can provide a healthy and colourful alternative to both traditional and more experimental cuisine. It has a more 'nutty' flavour than Thai Jasmine rice, and although full of fibre, is less 'chewy' than brown rice.

Its cooking instructions did make me smile, it says " Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add rice and cover. Simmer until done"
This did not phase me but a novice cook possibly might worry.

I found that it was about 20- 25 minutes. It tastes more flavoursome than brown rice, worked really well with the Massaman sauce, I was not keen on it as a stand alone food, it needs a well seasoned sauce.

Finally the Massaman was just so bursting with flavour, it was full of good strong fiery tastes, the cinnamon and cloves were apparent. It had a rich creamy taste too. The coconut was not the main feature just a lovely accent.

We all loved it, I highly recommend it for anybody who wants an authentic Thai dish without the fuss and long shopping list. Thouroughly easy to cook. It also gives the impression you have slaved long and hard over the wok, when in reality its simplicity in a pan!

Must try the Green and Red to see how they match up to my own, I have a feeling they could give me a run!






Completely disregard the notion that this is cheating; in households all over Thailand, simplicity is key when it comes to preparing food. And with the Chantra Authentic Thai curry kits you can create your own delicious meals in minutes.

Packed into slim boxes that will fit inside your handbag are authentic, traditional Thai recipes that date back hundreds of years. The boxes contain the paste, herbs, coconut milk and fish sauce that will save you searching for individual items and deliver perfect results every time.

Simply cook the paste with a little oil for 1 minute, add your meat, chicken or fish, cook until brown, stir in the coconut milk, add vegetables, the fish sauce and a pinch of sugar, and leave to simmer for 5 minutes. The Thai Curry Company's gorgeous Jasmine rice only takes 10 minutes to cook, so there you have it—an absolutely authentic Thai curry, ready to eat in just 15 minutes.



The Thai Curry Company was set up by Sheffield chemistry student, Joe White, and his Thai girlfriend (now wife), Cherry. Joe fell in love with Thailand, its people and cuisine while on climbing trips in the country and was keen to offer travellers like him the chance to savour an authentic Thai curry back home.

Joe and Cherry developed the Thai curry kits based on Cherry’s family recipes for red and green curries. Showcased at the Birmingham BBC Food & Drink Show in 2009, they were an instant success.

Joe’s passion was to share the concept that fresh, wholesome Thai food is quick and easy to prepare, absolutely delicious and is, in fact, the perfect “fast food”. Ideal for those who don’t have time to cook, but want more than a cook-in sauce, the kits merely require the addition of fresh meat and vegetables and around 12 minutes’ cooking time to deliver the perfect Thai curry.

“We created this product to fill the gap for truly authentic Thai food”, says Joe. “While there is a lot of Thai food around, our research showed that the vast majority of it falls short of customer expectations.”

The company has since developed new products, including Massaman curry kits for those who prefer a less fiery heat, Jasmine rice, authentic Thai herbs and, new to the UK, red Thai rice, sourced from the family rice mill in the fertile north of Thailand.

The kits are available in hundreds of independent food shops around the UK and from select online retailers
 


No comments:

Post a Comment