Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Worthenshaws Freedom Review Freedom at last as UK's healthiest frozen dessert hits market!



Frozen desserts are all the rage with the A-list and now the UK's healthiest, tastiest, frozen dessert, Worthenshaws Freedom, (£3.99 for a 480ml tub) is available in supermarkets across the UK, thanks to inspirational Mum Kirsty Henshaw, who recently tamed the Dragons on TV programme Dragon's Den with her cool pitch and delicious chocolate, vanilla and strawberry frozen dessert products.

I was very happy to be asked to feature the launch a few months ago on my blog.
I have a slight peanut allergy, my daughter the same.
I admired what Kirsty set about to do. For a child to  never be able to taste the simple pleasure of an ice cream from a van at the park or just grab a tub in the supermarket for the whole family makes for a frustrating life.
She decided to do something about it and took on the Dragons and won!
So glad she did as this is not only a delight for allergy sufferers but as a stand alone dessert it just is so tasty.

I had some comments about the factory where the dessert is produced and felt sure that a mother with a child who suffered severe reactions to foods, would not risk her own child and her new venture without there being rigorous safeguards. I also could not envisage Peter Jones being ill advised about production.
So I asked.

You can read the response in my post comments HERE


Conor is still raving about the chocolate dessert and said it reminds him of something else, I will get back to you if we ever find out.

He loves all the eating reviews and he said this is one of the best desserts  have tasted, seriously his words. He has no allergies and has not got to watch his weight, yet with a dessert that does consider these things, you do often find a taste compromise.
Well Freedom is high on taste.
I loved the strawberry, its fresh tasting fruity and sweet and a lovely 80 calories for a big 100ml portion.


Worthenshaws Freedom delicious, guilt-free recipe is free from dairy, free from artificial nasties (unlike other frozen dessert products) and contains only fruit sugars. Plus, Freedom contains just 3g of fat and around 80 calories per 100ml serving - the perfect feel-good treat!

Having spent years developing a dessert that her little boy Jake, who suffers with allergies, could enjoy, the 25 year old mum from Preston applied for backing on BBC2‘s Dragons Den. Winning over the hearts of the nation and all five judges, Kirsty gave a faultless pitch and happily scooped investment from her favourite Dragons - Peter Jones and Duncan Bannatyne. Peter Jones is delighted to be backing Kirsty, saying:


 
“I'm very proud to be supporting Kirsty, the customer feedback so far has been fantastic and we are on track to meeting our 2010 targets. Kirsty identified a real gap in the market and as a result has given many the freedom to enjoy a treat. My kids love it, as do I!”

 
Suitable for allergy sufferers, men and women watching their weight, families who want to eat well and those simply wishing to feel good about their food, Worthenshaws Freedom ticks every box! As Kirsty says: “nice doesn’t always have to be naughty!”

“My son Jacob was and still is the inspiration for my products. Being allergic to nuts and intolerant to dairy he can't enjoy most treats like his friends. Being his mum, I didn't want him to miss out so I created a delicious frozen dessert, just as tasty as ice cream but without dairy, or any artificial nasties and containing only fruit sugars. I myself do not have food allergies however I do avoid dairy and gluten as I feel much healthier when these are not in my diet. Like a lot of women today, I feel that I am constantly battling with my weight and I regularly calorie count and avoid high fat and starchy foods. Freedom is a great alternative for people watching their weight who want to enjoy healthy, tasty foods.”


Kirsty has already received many letters of thanks and support from parents, children and well-wishers:

Michelle Huggins, catering for all the family, says:

“I was rather frustratedly going through the freezer compartment at a supermarket yesterday. I am lactose intolerant and my husband has just been diagnosed diabetic and has a sweet tooth. How hard was it then going to be to find a dessert that had no sugar and no dairy. Couldn't believe it when I saw your frozen desserts. Bought them, and absolutely loved them. Even the kids think they are great. Thank you. I now no longer have to buy three different types of ice cream for us all to be able to have dessert. Michelle.”

Available at all major supermarkets (including Asda, Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Morrisons and Waitrose) Kirsty signed up with R&R Ice Creams UK Ltd to develop her frozen desserts. Priced at £3.99 per 480ml pot, look out for special offers and promotions, including: Tesco – currently 2 for £5 .



The Facts:

Worthenshaws Freedom is recipe free from:

 Dairy

 Sugar

 Gluten

 Soya

 Egg

 Artificial flavours or colours

Suitable for vegetarians, coeliacs and vegans

Nutritional Information:

We’ve carried out a few product comparisons, demonstrating just how feel-good Worthenshaw Freedom products are:

Based on chocolate flavours:

PER 100ml WORTHENSHAWS FREEDOM

(Chocolate) SWEDISH GLACE

(Chocolate) BEN & JERRYS (Chocolate Fudge Brownie) Adult GDA

Energy kJ 355kj 950kj 1100kj

Energy kcal 85kcal 230kcal 260kcal 20000 kcal

Protein 0.5g 3.0g 4g 45g

Carbohydrate 12.8g 25g 32g 230g

Of which Sugars 4.9g 23g 25g 90g

Fat 3.1g 14g 13g 70g

Of which Saturates 2.5g 8.0g 8g 20g

Fibre 1.8g 1.0g 1.5g 24g

Sodium Trace 0.1g 0.08g 2.4g

 
• GDA's are guidelines. Personal requirements vary depending on age, gender, weight and activity level

For full nutritional information on all three Worthenshaws Freedom flavours please visit:


No comments:

Post a Comment