Monday, July 23, 2012

Fruit Compote with Honey Crumpets



The two-week Hi-Taste, Lo-Fat eating plan contains five brand new recipes and Warbutons asked me to make them,  I received a box full of the Warburtons goodies and a supermarket gift card to buy the other ingredients.


I have been loving the experimenting, the dishes were not familiar apart from the Crispy Tomato Chicken recipe here I was not sure I was going to like a few of them, but have been pleasantly surprised.


 All of  are nutritious and low in fat. The eating plan can be downloaded from www.facebook.com/warburtons (check out the two week eating plan tab).



The sweet dishes were the ones I was not sure of and I found they were easier to eat for a lunch! Just personal preference, I am not sweet in the morning, either by taste or temperament!!

This was such a simple meal to assemble,  fast to make too. 



Simmering the fruit, orange and sugar, I was struck by the fact that this could be made even healthier with the use of a sugar substitute, if like me you haven't a sweet tooth, I would omit sugar all together! Again I was glad I did not make in the morning as it gave quite a bit of washing up, you need to puree half of the fruit mix, however this could be left if you like. The recipe amount is for two meals.


So here is my  finished dish, its very tasty, I rarely eat sweet toppings on crumpets, but the fruit was still quite tart and the yogurt helped.


Fruit Compote with Honey Muffins

Ingredients

  1. 500 g fresh or frozen berries e.g. blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants
  2. 3 tbsp fresh orange juice
  3. 1 tbsp golden or white caster sugar
  4. 4 Warburtons Crumpets
  5. About 4 tsp honey, enough to drizzle a little on to each crumpet
  6. 4 tbsp low fat natural yogurt

Method

  1. 1. Put the fruit into a saucepan, add the orange juice and sugar and cook gently for 5 minutes to dissolve the sugar
  2. 2. Put half into a blender or into a small bowl and use a hand blender and whizz until smooth
  3. 3. Put the puree back into the pan and mix with the other fruit and heat through
  4. 4. Toast the crumpets in a toaster or under the grill. 
  5. 5. Once cooked, drizzle the honey over the crumpets and serve with half of the warm fruit compote and a dollop of yogurt

Chef's tip

To freeze: put into a freezer bag. Thaw at room temperature or in the fridge. Serve at room temperature or warm through in a small saucepan.    

No comments:

Post a Comment