Monday, June 6, 2011

Cooks By Gordon Ramsay Slow Cooker Review



Well I feel like Gordon and I are becoming real pals, I am reviewing my third gadget now the digital slow cooker. Not a swear word in sight you will be relieved to read.

This is the very basic description on  the Cooks from Sensio site. I have a bigger one coming right up.

4.7 Litre capacity
Removable stoneware cooking pot
Digital display for accurate function & timing control
Tempered glass lid
Gloss black finish

Firstly its a sleek machine, it matches my kitchen perfectly and it is staying on my side permanently to ensure I use it. It has a lovely oval stoneware black dish which as says above is removable so it can nbe used as a serving dish at the table and my plates are black too, its going to come in handy for serving often.

I decided to go for an easy recipe to start and here is my only moan, there isn't a recipe book. I really feel that an appliance endorsed by a chef should have recipes as standard, I sort of expected it and was a little disappointed.
Luckily the internet comes up with dozens. I settled with what I had in the freezer and cupboards, tweaked at several recipes as usual going with what I had in and what I like.

I made a sort of Lamb hotpot and you are getting a series of pictures to show just how easy this was.

750g Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and cut into 5 mm thick slices
8 large lamb chops 2  leeks, thinly sliced

salt and freshly ground black pepper
a few fresh rosemary sprigs, dried does work, but this is in my garden.
2 tablespoons oil
250 ml lamb stock (chicken stock works too)
Put the potatoes in a layer over the bottom of the stoneware pot.


Add the leeks and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and the rosemary.



Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the chops and brown on both sides. This will help for appearance when the stew is done.


 Transfer the chops to the stoneware pot, arranging them so that the vegetables are completely covered.


Add a little more salt and pepper and pour in the stock.

Cover and cook on Low for 8-10 hours or High for 4-5 hours.  I cooked on low for dead on 8 hours
Taste and if necessary adjust the  seasoning before serving.

 
It was the fast prep I have ever done for a stew, the slowest cook I have ever done, it looked tasty.
 
 

It was one of the tastiest tenderest stewed chop meals I have eaten and since then I have been making all manner of meals, its a delight to use and whats more unlike Gordon, no swearing included!
 
 
The empty dish says it all really.





No comments:

Post a Comment