Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Garden Bird Supplies Review



Looking through the facts and figures this nation of dog lovers actually are rather  more close and personal with our wild birds. We   celebrate birds in literature, art, folklore and popular culture.

Did you know we spend a staggering £150 million every year feeding them in our gardens!!
I love feeding the birds, its become quite a hobby and filled the gap of not having family pets at the moment.

I have a an array of birds that come, long tailed tits, collared doves, dunnocks, chaffinches, (a whole family, mum dad and now baby),  great and blue tits both with young, my favourite a charming female blackbird who trashes my planters and pots for her nesting supplies, second year running she has done so.

She comes onto the window sill to eat and actually taps on the glass and makes a really peeved noise if the dish is empty of her favourite mealworms.
So I am part of the facts and figures in that I have a personal relationship with a wild creature.
I like to buy really good quality bird food and accessories, the food because you just see the variety of birds increase if you are feeding them well. I like to think I am the high end gourmet dining garden as opposed to the value fat balls and bird seed that's akin to a cheap takeaway outlet. The accessories are the little extras that really just increase my enjoyment as well as extra provision for the birds.


I was recently sent some really great bird food and accessories from Garden Bird Supplies

I was sent some Ultivia Gold, Mealworms, Seed Treat Cake, a bird bath and a window feeder.

I love the window feeder, it has been in place for two weeks and I held off posting in an attempt to get a picture in use. Ialso religiously cleaned the window to get a nice shot.
I was hoping to get some photos of the blackbird before I wrote the post but she is a lady not for turning. She looks at the feeder full of worms and sidesteps it,  then taps at the glass looking affronted that I have changed her perch. 

So she still eats from her dish on the sill! A robin has dashed in and dashed off as they do so I thought I would have to forego the picture, but then the teen hooligans of the bird world arrived. They have no issue with me taking my pictures and happily tucked in while I did chucking most of the food far and wide, before they ate they began by jumping in the tiny water bowl and then using their beaks to spray it everywhere.




The  sides of the feeder are spaces for  fat balls  and it was loaded for about 5 minutes, before the baby squirrel arrived, possibly she  thought how nice I am being to her. She usually has to fight through a cage, see my Silent Sunday post here for the cheeky shot

So the feeder will be just for bird food I think and  talking of the food the mealworms what can I say, they are in a nice resealable bag and are disgusting to look at but this is the single most food item for getting the birds in and if you are just starting out feeding, make sure they are on the list of buys!!
 I was pleased with the quality of the seed, its called Ultivia Gold, the no mess food that makes for a cleaner area around the feeding station.
Its blend of nutritious sunflower seed hearts - the single highest-energy food available - combined with canary seed, kibbled maize, pinhead oatmeal, hemp, millet and peanut nibs create the ultimate oil-rich bird food.

Its been a hit with the garden visitors and starting at  £8.49 for 2 kilos a good price for premium food for me.
The great thing is being home delivered it stops me  going to the garden centre and buying too many plants that I have no room for in the garden.


The bird bath has been a success but  as a second drinking hole at the moment, the squirrel sits in it but no bathing takes place. I am sure this will change soon though.


The Seed Treat Cakes are a very good £10.99 for two, they are extremely large.
For the ultimate high energy food, you cannot get better than these suet treat cakes. Supplied as a pack of two, complete with strong cord hangers, each one is packed with quality ingredients blended into over 800g of tasty, high energy suet. These Seed Treat Cakes are balanced blend of seeds and suet which will give your birds a nutritious meal. Each cake contains sunflower seeds, white millet, cracked corn, wheat and milo. These were an instant hit with the birds, five minutes after I hung it outside i had all the usual starlings, robin, chaffinches and I managed to snap this little visitor.

 

Take a look at the Garden Bird Supplies site, it has some rather lovely accessories and really good food a free feeding guide if you are new to feeding. They are  founder members of the Bird Care Standards Association – so  make sure their foods have the best nutritional content.
Most food is dispatched next working day so you and the birds won't have to wait too long.


No comments:

Post a Comment