Friday, August 26, 2011

Chickpea Curry


Another hot and spicy recipe a chance to try out my pestle and mortar from Vacu Vin too. you can read the review here
The Chickpea Curry recipe I found on the rather tasty Tinned Tomatoes blog, which Jac in turn got from her friend. I recommend her blog for some rather fab vegetarian dishes and good reading too.
As Jac did in hers I adapted to suit my need to put my own mark on it.

I used less and replaced sunflower with virgin olive oil to make this a  Slimming World Chickpea Curry recipe. I fried the spices and onions in  my Crafond pan is incredibly good at cooking without burning or sticking so helps me to keep the oil to a minimum.

I've been doing this with most recipes as you know as part of making easy Slimming World recipes
I've found despite curry recipes suggesting several tablespoons it can be done with no real change to the final taste.
I also used chopped tinned tomatoes and as I like a tomatoey base the entire tin went in.


Chickpea Curry

2 medium onions
1.5 cm cube of ginger (peeled)
2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1/2 large red chili (roughly chopped)
2 tsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 can of chickpeas
3 tomatoes from a tin (chopped) I used the whole tin)
1/2 tsp. brown sugar (optional)
Pinch of salt
3 tbsp. sunflower oil (I used 1 tbsp of Virgin Olive Oil)
1/2 lemon
3 tbsp. coriander leaves (chopped)
Black pepper to taste






1. Peel the onions, cut in half and then slice.


2. Heat a small pan and dry roast the coriander seeds.

3. Roughly crush in a mortar and pestle
.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the cumin seeds taking care not to burn them.

5. Heat a large heavy bottomed pan on a medium - high setting and add the oil.

6. When the oil is hot add all the spices and allow to sizzle for 1 min.

7. Add the onions and fry for 1 -2 mins while stirring occasionally so they don't stick.

8. Turn down the heat to low and continue to cook for 10 -15 mins. Sprinkle on the sugar if using. ( I  don't)

9. Thinly slice the ginger and then cut the slices into quarters. Then add to the onions with the chili and garlic. Cook for a further 2 mins then turn the heat up to medium-high again.

10. Add the chickpeas and cook for 5 mins before adding the chopped tomatoes.

11. Add a splash or two of water to loosen off the mix. It should not be too dry.

12. Turn down the heat a bit and simmer for 10 mins. You can mash a bit of the chickpeas up with a spoon as the mushed chickpeas give a creamy texture to the curry.

13. Add the lemon juice and chopped coriander. Simmer for 1 min.

14. Serve  with rice and a simple raita of cucumber, tomato in fat free yogurt and a sprinkle of paprika, naan bread is good too.


No comments:

Post a Comment