Monday, August 1, 2011

Dylon Fabric Colour review.


 
I have long been dyeing clothes, I used to do the cold water buckets of dye, tie dyeing was a regular occurrence they all have been Dylon products and the colour result has never let me down yet. 

So here we go you will
get a mini history lesson again.



DYLON have been around since 1946, it was founded by two young entrepreneurs, Luca Purbeck and Peter Samuel who began selling colourful dyes from a garage in central London.

From those humble beginnings DYLON went on to thrive in 'make-do and mend' post war Britain making fabric dyes to brighten up the homes, wardrobes and spirits of families across the country.
The company continued to grow throughout the rock and roll years of the 1950s and over the next few decades DYLON went global, selling coloured dyes to over 70 countries around the world.


 I moved on happily with Dylon not since their beginnings in 1946 but from my experimentation in the 80's as I said before with the little dye tablets in cold water, to the latest pouches of machine dye which are as quick to change the colour now as it is to wash some clothing.

I love not only the feeling of restoring a beloved item of clothing, but I love the makeover aspect too. I often pop a pair of black jeans in to be revived and throw in an old tee that has gone past its wear by date.
Some come out in glorious shades, a light green tee I did recently became a lovely bottle green.

So when Dylon sent me the Fabri Colour I was eager to try it. I have a favourite Gap hoodie that was bought as a distressed blue, but I have had it a while and distressed has turned to dishevelled.

I did have a little trouble with the packaging, I use the other washing machine dyes and find them less fiddly to open.
The Fabri Dye has two capsules which are added to your machine after each has the corner snipped off. This was where the trouble lay as it does not easily snip off.
I ended with dye on my hands, the scissors but luckily not my top as the corner pinged off and splashed the dye.
I know I could have worn gloves, but  I already use the powder versions so not really expecting it to be a problem.
I added 500g of salt my clothes dampened were added last.
As well as my hoodie I wanted to refresh a dress and tshirt.
The dye effect was phenomenal and as I write this there is no longer dye on my fingers so I forgive the awkward capsule.


My hoody came out a lovely shade of deep blue. The stiching was elastane so did not keep the dye, but I found this gives it an on trend style.
My drss and tshirt were a deeper navy than newly bought this was a very satisfactory outcome.

The DYLON® Fabric Dyes are in independent haberdasheries, DIY and craft stores, and John Lewis. Visit http://www.dylon.co.uk/ for more information



Follow DYLON® on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DYETODYE or become a fan on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment