Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Daioni Review The first Organic naturally flavoured milk in the UK




I first tried a small sample of the Daioni flavoured milk at the BBC Good Food show. I remember liking the taste, commenting how I liked the natural taste of the strawberry and then as is with the show, moving on to try yet more delightful samples.
When I was asked if I would like to review some for the blog, remembering the sweet taste, I agreed.


Daioni is the first organic naturally flavoured milk in the UK.  It is the brainchild of farmer, Laurence Harris, who spotted a gap in the market for an organic flavoured milk drink, free from any artificial colours and flavours.

I was a bit taken aback that this is the first organic flavoured milk. I mean its hardly a new concept in food production. So hats off to Lawrence Harris as he has done consumers a great service.

I say this because the taste is so good.  I'm talking as a sometime milkshake drinker, I have never been keen on the overly sweet flavoured milks. In fact milk is not a drink I go for.
I have been trying to increase my calcium over the years and mainly go with cheese which I love and yogurt which I sometimes enjoy. This will make a  great lunchbox filler for the children going back to school, its longlife so no deterioration worries.

The Daioni (pronounced dye-on-knee)  is aptly named as it means ‘goodness’ in Welsh and it covers not only the production but the taste, the shelf life.

Its goodness mostly is in the flavour, the strawberry tastes real, the banana natural and the chocolate ticks all the boxes for me. My favorite is the strawberry, but then again the banana, oh and I mustn't forget the chocoalte.... you will have to forgive my indecision and decide which one you like. let me know if you try it.


None of the flavours overpower and all the drinks are refreshing.
A lovely way to get the calcium I need and just to make me happier the cartons are low in sugar and fat.

Laurence and his family have been producing milk on their farm in West Wales for over 70 years, but when they created Daioni in 2003 it was a leap of faith. They set out to re-invent milk in a way that kept all the nutritional benefits of organic milk, but was fun, tasty and convenient too. They also wanted to produce a brand that would appeal to the whole family, from young children to their grandparents.


Working with a team of experts, Laurence developed the unique Daioni brand using milk from his herd of organic dairy cattle in Pembrokeshire.  It is available in strawberry, chocolate and banana flavours. It is produced from nutritious semi-skimmed milk, is low in sugar and fat, and totally free from artificial colours and flavours.  Daioni also provides 36 per cent of an adults’ recommended daily allowance of calcium, which is ideal for promoting strong bones.  Add this to the fact that drinking milk after exercise is known to help boost muscle recovery and Daioni is a tasty alternative to standard milk.

Packaged in a 250ml carton with an extendable straw, Daioni tastes great straight from the fridge, but doesn’t have to be chilled and has a long shelf life, so it is ideal for lunchboxes and consumers on the move.

Daioni is available to buy online from www.abelandcole.co.uk, in Tesco stores in Wales, and farm shops, delis and health food stores across the whole UK. Visit www.trioni.com to find out more about Daioni and the story behind the brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment