Friday, July 22, 2011

Moroccanish Chicken Casserole



Apologies to the purists and feel free to throw in your apricots, honey, plums, whatever fruit you wish but I don't actually like my sweet and savoury together. I used to think I would never make for a true foodie or chef with this dislike. However on the last series of Masterchef, John Torrode announced he did not like sweet foods with savoury so I am saved!

I'm using the Cooks by Gordon Ramsay slow cooker which I reviewed  recently and its really working well for me still, see the review and another recipe here http://given-to-distracting-others.blogspot.com/2011/06/cooks-by-gordon-ramsay-slow-cooker.html 


I had plans to start it in the morning and cook for 8 hours on low, but as go my usual days, it was made by 2pm and put on for 4 hours on high, then on the warming button for two hours. The chicken was falling off the bone at four hours on high so I recommend it.

As with most of my meals it is a mix of recipes on a theme, this being Moroccan but as usual feel free to change it again.

If you are on Slimming World eating plans this is 1 syn for the tomato puree, if you add apricots it will need to be synned too.

Moroccanish Chicken Casserole


Ingredients



Chicken skinless breast pieces or thighs (I used about 8 large thighs and 1 quarter chopped)
Fry Light to cook in
2 Large onions chopped
4 garlic cloves chopped
1 inch chopped ginger
2 tbsp tomato puree (1syn)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
6 large vine tomatoes or similar
2 tins chickpeas I used 1 and a tin of Sainsbury's mixed beans
1/2 pint  chicken stock
1 tsp turmeric
4 tsp Ras el hanout spice mix
Pinch of chilli powder
1 yellow pepper
salt and pepper optional I didn't add
Optional
1 preserved lemon, chopped into small wedges
Chopped coriander

Method
1. Heat up fry light in a frying pan and fry  chopped onions adding  garlic and ginger after 2 minutes and carry on gently frying for 3 more  minutes.

2. Add  stock, and tomato puree and mix well. Add herbs,spices and     salt and pepper to taste. Finally add tinned tomatoes, tinned pulses then mix well.  Add to the slow cooker.

3.  Brown chicken in a pan with some fry light.

4.  Add chicken to the tomato mix and blend
5. Add peppers. Give it a  good stir to mix everything together well.

6.  Cook on high for about 3 to 4 hours high OR on low for 8 hours. (I cooked mine for about 4 hours on high)

7. Towards the end of cooking if the sauce seems too runny, add a sprinkling of instant mash to thicken until the required consistency, I liked it liquidy for the family who ate couscous,  it makes a nice stew type dish, although I had mine with basmati rice.



8. Serve with freshly chopped Coriander sprinkled on top and either with couscous, rice, fresh flat bread, pitta bread or salads. It is also good  served with fluffy pureed or mashed potatoes or pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment