Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A'kin Hair Care Lemongrass Natural Shampoo


I feel quite honoured to have recently been selected as a beauty blogger for mypure recently. So now every month I'll get the chance to review and feature a whole range of gorgeous and eco-friendly beauty products. I wanted to start with something that features heavily in bathroom discussions in our house. Shampoo. Its the one product that we have different variants of.
Chris has dry hair, Conor, Paige and I have oily hair and on top of this I had my hair coloured 10 days ago, so for that reason I reviewed this A'Kin Hair Care Shampoo Lemongrass first. Read the review here

First before I let you know my opinions I would like to add what I found about mypure

mypure was founded by Simon Golding and started out in a small cabin at the end of the garden in 2004. More people have joined and they soon outgrew the cabin beginnings.

Their new home is a converted chicken shed on an old farm in Kent they all continue to be inspired by natural beauty products and the latest developments in natural ingredients.

The basic principle behind mypure is that cosmetics, toiletries and home cleaning products made from natural & organic ingredients are easier on our bodies and less likely to cause problems like allergic reactions and skin sensitivity. Products made from natural ingredients are less polluting during manufacture and they biodegrade quickly after use. Great for you, even better for earth. . . Of course, it goes without saying, but we'll say it anyway, NONE of the products stocked at mypure have been tested on animals.

I like the ethics so will I like the A'kin Hair Care Lemongrass Natural Shampoo ? I already (much to Chris's disgust as he hates the smell) use a natural product for my greasy roots.... vinegar, if I have a particularly greasy outbreak, I do a rinse in vinegar and then a mild sluice with a conditioner to rid the smell. So for Chris's nose and to be honest mine I need a pleasant scented product that does  the job.

What is most irritating now is shampoo for oily scalps are like hens teeth, non existent in the supermarket.

There are formulas for dry, aging, permed, straight, coloured and normal, yet none of the greasy range anymore. I find this odd as its a common hair type. 
So this lovely find was very welcome and I am sad to say almost finished as the three oily heads swooped on it.


It comes in a dark dark green bottle, and has a lovely gold edged cream label.
Its slender and flat and nice to hold when I was reaching blindly for it after wetting my hair. Opens easily with a pop up dispenser and the first thing that I always do is sniff the contents. Now for me this gets me in the mood, I love washing my hair, good job really as I do it every other morning, so the scent has to be pleasurable.

The A'Kin  is an intense herbal lemony zing to the nostril. It instantly makes the last few sleepy cells of my brain come to life.
I find I do have to add more product than I usually would as the lather is just not there (its sulphate free) and for that reason I was concerned that I would rub too much and as anybody with oily roots knows rubbing causes more oil.

The scent continues to fill my senses and its such a feeling of a spa session, that I have looked forward to each wash.  It has dealt with my oily hair well and lasted for the same amount time as any other oily hair shampoo used to. It definitely works more thoroughly and noticeably on the oil than a normal or fine/flyaway shampoo.
The lemongrass must do a similar degrease as it does on dishes and similar to the vinegar yet it contains coconut which is usually seen on formulas for dry hair.
I have noticed my hair is soft all the way to the ends, this is a feature often missing in oily root shampoo, as it has ingredients to dry the oil, unfortunately it dries out the mid lengths and ends. Happily the A'Kin balanced out nicely.
Paige and Conor have particularly greasy roots and I am trying to talk them into washing less than daily as I am sure this is making the oil production greater. The A'Kin is working on Paige, she is leaving her hair some days, Conor remains unconvinced.
Overall I am delighted with the shampoo and will happily recommend to anybody with oily roots and scalp.
The A'kin Hair Care Lemongrass shampoo is £10.49 for 225 ml.


No comments:

Post a Comment