Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Young's Chip Shop Mackerel



Young's Chip Shop Mackerel hits supermarket shelves and we were sent some to try. I am ashamed to say I have been slow to adapt to fish,  strange when any fish I eat I adore. 

I buy and cook the usual fare, haddock cod, tuna (tinned) smoked mackerel but for years that's  been the lot!

I know its really good for me and I have been aware that supplies of the popular fish are dwindling. I changed to haddock from cod at the chippy and from the freezer for this reason. Although joy of joys Young's Chip Shop Cod and haddock are part of the Fish For Life campaign, I was lucky enough to receive some of the Cod and you can read my review here

I have learnt that Young's Mackerel fillets are a great new way to enjoy Chip Shop and support the fight to sustain stocks. The great British Mackerel is a delicious fish and is high in beneficial Omega 3 oils. What’s more it’s in plentiful supply and is fished in a controlled and sustainable way
I was not sure whether I would like it I have never eaten unsmoked mackerel and I am so pleased I am a reviewer as I got this opportunity to try a fish I would possibly have passed over for haddock in batter.

I loved it, I realise its frozen fillets but the freshness was evident. I loved the taste and the texture, Youngs top the fishy treat with a light bubbly batter that has a faint beery taste and it matches the fish so well. A good lemon mayo and a portion of chpshop chips to accompany. I would actually love to see this served in fish and chip shops as a more sustainable alternative too.

On the pack it states its a limited edition but if you love it too you can vote to keep it on the Young's range. I cannot wait to see what they will bring out next!
The introduction of Young's Chip Shop Mackerel was inspired by the Fish Fight programmes shown on Channel 4 in January. The programmes highlighted Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Mackerel Mission to encourage more people to try sustainable mackerel at Fish and Chip shops.

Young's Chip Shop Mackerel will bring even more diversity to Chip Shop, which already uses a lot of alternative white fish such as Alaska pollock and basa, as well as offering traditional cod and haddock.

As with all Young's fish, this mackerel is sourced according to the rigorous criteria of Fish for Life, Findus Group's programme for responsible fish procurement. In addition, the mackerel for Chip Shop – sourced from a longstanding Scottish supplier to Young's - is certified to the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) standard.

As the UK's leading fish brand, Young's has long supported the use of a wider variety of fish. Diversification can help to reduce the supply pressure on more popular species - as well as helping people find out just what a fantastic and flexible food fish really is.


VOTE NOW

TO KEEP MACKEREL ON THE MENU

If you've enjoyed these Limited Edition Mackerel fillets, vote now to keep them in our Chip Shop range permanently.

To join our Mackerel Mission, register your vote at: www.youngsseafood.co.uk/keepmack

Or write to us at:

Keep Mackerel, PO Box 51, Grimsby, DN31 3TJ.


You can also suggest your other favourite fish for our next Chip Shop Limited Edition.
There is a vast array of delicious fish, and by eating a greater variety of it we will help to preserve our more vulnerable species.

Young‟s Chip Shop Mackerel arrived on the supermarket shelves 14 March 2011, thanks to the support of two major supermarkets. Tesco and Morrison‟s who will be stocking the product across 650 stores nationwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment