Thursday, May 5, 2011

Discovery Cinco de Mayo Fiesta Feasting and Food!

Read through my blog and food crops up a lot, spicy food even more so. Mexican food is another  favourite of mine and has been since I used to take part in charity walks around land owned by the US air force.
After a 10k fast walk we used to tuck into chimmichangas, fajitas and quesadillas to undo any healthy effects of the walk!! Mexican food was instantly loved, it was exciting and hot but fresh and tasty, it was long before it really hit the market here and  I learnt to cook a few recipes nearly 20 years ago.
 As the UK have broadened the taste for other countries food this has been made easier for me to cook, adding to my repertoire with new meals as ingredients are more easy to get hold of.
Discovery have been a part of my store cupboard staples since they first appeared and they challenged me to make a recipe which included their selection of goodies and also sent me a new product to try as well as some of the old favourites!


Discovery Foods have become the first and only brand to market Preservative Free Plain Tortillas made with British flour in the UK, so to check out the wrap before the spicy Mexican food hit them I tried one on its own with salad and guacamole, the wrap is soft, extremely so and is easier to fold, is that possible Discovery? Its tasty and going to be a hit in our house later acknowledged by my brood!

Onto my Mexican challenge, its a fitting time  too as May the 5th is a popular Mexican holiday!


Cinco de Mayo is a holiday held on May 5 that commemorates the Mexican army's victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.  Cinco de Mayo sees a celebration in Mexico, and the date is observed nationwide in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.



I decided to use as much of the Discovery products as possible so I could tempt you decided to make  Chicken Fajitas.
With Discovery on hand this classic dish becomes a cinch to make and the result is always appealing and quite impressive.
Firstly chop the chicken, red pepper, green pepper into strips, then slice onion finely, or  alternatively go and answer the phone, then hubby offers to cut chicken which results in diced chicken! It still works as well but needs a longer fry time.

Fry the chicken until brown and I would say more or less cooked. Add the onions and peppers and fry gently until all the ingredients are  well cooked.

I used the Discovery Hot Fajita Seasoning Paste which you just add to the meat mixture and stir in well until coated, continue to cook for a few seconds.
Look at this I am making myself hungry.


All that remains is to warm through the tortillas, Pop all the salsa's sour cream and guacamole on the table, open a jar of Discovery Jalapeno peppers for the brave and get wrapping. I did a Mexican rice and added refried beans as an accompaniment to get the true Mexican feast!


The new wraps must be softer as Chris, Conor and Paige commented on them as easier to fold and they taste fresher.


There is a negative comment and its that the Chicken Fajitas on our table went faster than the famous Mexican mouse Speedy Gonzales! so if you want to make some make sure you  Arriba Arriba  Andale Andale


New Discovery Preservative Free Tortillas are available in the Mexican section of Sainsbury’s, in striking red packaging, priced at £1.59.

Find out more at Discovery
http://www.discoveryfoods.co.uk/home.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment