Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Topping Pie Company Review


I live not far from Melton Mowbray renowned for its pork pie and locally they are handmade and sold  in many a Lincolnshire butchers, I have my favourites and am prepared to travel if need be to buy a favourite pie.
I am also attending a wedding this year where along side the three tiered cake the groom has requested a pork pie and his bride to be is actually having a three tiered pork pie, now that is love!!

I was sent the Topping Pies to try and I just loved the look of them as they emerged from the box, the professional image shots show a meaty rustic looking pie and they are exactly so.
The crust a deep golden shiny top the Huntman pie has a delicious looking sage and onion topping.

I tried the award winning Hot Chilli Pork Pie straight away as it was begging me to,  its a small pie and I would happily have eaten this  all for myself. But I had to share it with Chris like all brilliant new tastes.

Now  you all know my love for spicy food. Its a marriage made in Pork Pie heaven for me, I love the kick, it really shouldn't work on paper but on tongue it's amazing. It has a lovely fiery but tasty zing. I popped to the shop to buy some Mexicana cheese to accompany it. I highly recommend this pork pie for those who love chilli and its a deserved Gold Award winner from the Guild of Fine Foods Great Taste.

The 190g pie uses locally sourced ingredients, including chilli seasoning supplied by Bradford based Gordon Rhodes. "It took several attempts to get the chilli tang, pork pie flavour and taste just right, but we knew we had a winner with the final product. With the recent Gold Award win, we are delighted to be among the country's most highly rated food products and excited to see how the pie is received by Selfridges customers," said Roger Topping, managing director, The Topping Pie Company.



All the  award winning proper premium pies from The  Topping Pie Company of Doncaster, are made to homemade family recipes created by Maggie Topping, one of the founders.

All the pies use only  natural, locally sourced ingredients with no additives or chemicals.

Tasty, traditionally handcrafted pies from a family of upper crust  Yorkshire pie makers are now available in Selfridges stores in London,  Manchester and Birmingham.


Yorkshire Farmers Pie, a  base layer of pork and chunks of prime chicken and ham marinated in a  wholegrain honey mustard, encased in a rich pastry crust great as part of a ploughman's the pie is fresh has a great taste and I can honestly say Toppings Pies are at the top to the class for pies.

The scrumptious  Scrumpy Pie, a layer of pork, chunks of succulent turkey enriched with a  celery and cider relish. It really looks this meaty inside, Chris demolished this pie, I am not a  lover of sweet mixed with savoury but could see the quality and smell the rich apple and pork. Chris said it was moist and delicious,  delicate in the fruit and meat combination both working well and the apple did not overpower.
Huntsman Pie, prime succulent chicken  breast sandwiched between a layer of best pork and a delicious seasoned  sage and onion stuffing. This is a meat pie heavy on the meat, it has fresh large chicken breast that is incredibly moist as is the pork. The sage and onion a lovely end or should I say beginning to the pie. This is my picture below so you can see for yourself the depth of meat.


 

The Topping Pie Company started as a butchery business from humble beginnings in a small industrial unit in Doncaster 50 years ago by Bill  Topping, before it was taken over by son, Roger and his wife Maggie in  1989. It was Maggie's undoubted baking prowess that transformed the  landscape of the business and her home made pies now grace many quality  delicatessens up and down the country.
RRP Yorkshire Farmers Pie, Scrumpy and Huntsman - £4.95

Now these pies are from Yorkshire a little too far for me to travel, but they also are being sold in Selfridge stores and again too far but they sell online on the
Toppings Pies web site





Hot Chilli Pork Pie, £2.95


No comments:

Post a Comment