Monday, May 2, 2011

My Appliance in Bargain Bonanza Science



So happy was I with my EBay finds yesterday, finally sitting down last night I tweeted my delight. I had just arrived home with a new to me dishwasher and washing machine for under £100!! All purchased 4 hours before!

 Then the the lovely @missielizzieb of the equally fab Me and My Shadow spotted my tweet  and suggested I blogged about my bargains and added it to her #magpiemonday. I was under the impression it was for vintage bargains, the sort I adore but have had none of the time needed to pursue but she urged me to blog as its for all bargain hunting, so here I am.

Take a look at Liz's Monday bargain and all of the others, some really great thrifting exists by a growing group of bloggers!!

I'm not really superior, just felt like the cat that got the cream!!
 
So back to my crowing, first a little background, I have a good dishwasher it worked perfectly up to exactly 2 days after the five year extended warranty expired....how does that work??
The catch packed up and  we have been propping the door shut for a few weeks, a pain and its has leaked a few times, so not ideal.The door catch quotes ranged the heights of stupidity and the cheapest was £78.89!!!

Idly looking through Ebay this morning, (I have some money on my PayPal account from selling my own EBay lots, roof bars from our last car, kids clothes, books,lipsticks new and unwanted and some baking trays all amassed to £114.79)
I spotted a dishwasher finishing within the hour and with no bids I sat up a liitle straighter. I noticed the seller also had lots of items including a washing machine under a year old and an LG at that with a guarantee still running on machine and a 10 year warranty on the drive belt. My back straightened even more.

A quick discussion with Chris as to whether he wanted to abandon the planned day of garden centres, planting summer baskets and bbqing to collect if we won, to which he said yes that sounds as good, so I settled, finger poised ready to try my luck. 


The dishwasher was first and I was amazed to get the Bosch dishwasher for £46.10!! I then sat for the next one prepared to go to £110 and it had a bid added at 4 minutes to go for £45. I decided to bid my remaining PayPal balance of £69 and sat tight, pressed bid at 12 seconds and it was confirmed. I won!!
 
My amazement was more immense as I won the bid at £47, so in 10 minutes I had gained two appliances for under £100.
An hours trip to Milton Keynes and we discovered the sellers were emigrating to Texas in a few weeks and needed to sell, so it was not a case of selling used items that were past their best,  but really good clean machines fuly working and not a scratch on them. The dishwasher has slightly yellowed buttons as its come from a position in full sun, but we can replace them if it feels a bother!



The dishwasher is  happily washing a few pots now, the washing machine is waiting to go in, I am eBaying my old one to see if I can make this even more of a bargain and my friend is very happy as she has the exact same dishwasher as my old one but with a broken pump and so Chris had the catch off hers and onto ours and she is also happily washing pots.



The washing machine still waiting for it to go in so picture is from its old home, we are selling the replaced one first, its old but loyal, actually been really  good but without a delicates wash and low temps, its in sore need of an upgrade. I have been hand washing bits for years  my hands are crying out for a break. The new replacement is Energy Rated as A and has a 30 degree wash, so my electricity will go down too, plus I just cancelled the extended warranty.

Chris says I've not only made my buys free by selling old goods, but am now making money on sales of old ones and plus a saving on bills!

I do feel this a little more like #crowingmonday than magpiemonday, sorry about that but I am so pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment