Thursday, May 5, 2011

I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one.



I am starting to inject a little of me in the blog although I am in all the reviews they are about products.
 Encouraged by some wonderful family and friends both personal friends and blogging friends to... in the words of Roy Walker "Say what you see!"

I warn you I sway between fun and seriousness in life and you will get both here too!

This is a sober post.

 The furore surrounding most wanted's death has provoked strong feeling in many.
I tweet a lot and when the news came through about the death of Osama Bin Laden, I felt very strange.

 For me it was a sense of right being done, but the death of somebody is normally a time to feel that the world is wrong, to mourn a person, so maybe the incongruence of the two was part of my unsettled being.
 As I read the outpouring of hatred and celebration, I felt sad!
 As the days have gone  the jokes are appearing and I spend my time avoiding most references to the news.

My neighbour and friend James was killed in the July 7 bombings it was a terrible shock, we were disbelieving, horrified and then heartbroken. His funeral was a celebration of his very short life, made pretty tough by newspaper photographers hanging from trees.  I still miss him as a neighbour, just getting to know him as a friend.

I feel the death of the man behind the atrocities makes not a  difference to the loss of all the lives. For some maybe rejoicing works but each of us is unique, while I do not share this occasion the same, 
I appreciate that freedom of speech and thought is a privilege and I respect anothers thoughts.

 I though was  looking for some good positive thoughts and thanks to @jamandcream I finally had them she quoted Dr Martin Luther King on Twitter, I will leave you with how I feel summed up in a great mans words, though  the frist sentence was not said by Dr King it has a good sentiment.

I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
Martin Luther King, Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment