Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Fish Cookbook



I received this book and was instantly reassured by its size I am hoping that this many recipes mean I will find something fantastic to cook, its a (excuse the pun) whale of a book, like a fish bible almost!

Flicking through  I spot a few potential dishes  I mentioned on the Young's Mackerel review that I am slow to try new fish dishes and I think that its because it was not served up at home when I was younger. Chris on the other hand has a passion for fish dishes, up until now he has had to order favourites in restaurants as I don't cook it as much as he would like. With this new book I am hoping that will change.

My eyes alighted on the favourite comfort food for Chris and one I love. Happy that I have the prawns and haddock in already I set about making a Fisherman's pie. I have made it but this recipe suggested more flavour  as the milk for the fish is first infused with bay leaf and peppercorns.

My dish looked nothing like the expert image but it was so tasty and looked fabulous to us.



I went back to the book as like me, more and more people are eating fish and shellfish at home, many of us are still daunted by the prospect of buying, preparing and cooking this cuisine.
After the extensive recipe section including curry, bakes salads etc, there are some great chapters on preparing fish, wish I had flicked that far before fighting with skinning my haddock for the Fisherman's Pie!

The book inspires me above all, I want to make fish dishes and learn the skills.
Another Dorling Kindersley success in my house!

Fish Cookbook is the ultimate illustrated guide on how to prepare and cook different species of fish, guiding you through the process of transforming a whole fish into perfect cuts, fillets and stock, to create a variety of delicious dishes. Uniquely this book features a comprehensive techniques section offering practical advice on how to choose and store fish and shellfish, as well as illustrating the different cuts of meat.

Visual step-by-steps show cooks how to prepare any type of fish, including tips on removing scales, gutting, filleting and sushi techniques, as well as how to open oysters, clams and scallops and prepare crab and lobster.
Extra information on using the bones and leftovers to make fish stock guarantees that none of the flavour is wasted and helps cooks get the most out of their purchase. Essential cooking methods such as baking, roasting and steaming, are also clearly explained to help readers experiment with different varieties from seabass and snapper to monkfish and mussels, ensuring that they are cooked in a way that brings out their best flavours.


The book features over 300 inspiring recipes, from world classics including Paella, Thai Fish Cakes and New England Clam Chowder, to easy everyday meals such as Fish and Leek Pie, using simple methods and readily available ingredients. Each recipe gives detailed notes on the preparation, cooking time and information on preparing ahead, as well as a list of alternative fish you can substitute instead. Stylish photography of the finished dish will inspire cooks to experiment with ingredients and try something new, for delicious meals every time.

An amazing photo gallery of over 200 varieties of fish and seafood completes Fish Cookbook, illustrating the distinctive features of each species. Accompanying notes offer extra information on where the fish is caught, how they taste, what to look for when purchasing and the best cooking methods for each type. Suggested flavour pairings will inspire cooks to become more experimental with fish to create show-stopping dishes designed to impress. An additional special section deals with the growing issue of sustainability, identifying threatened species and offering essential advice on how to buy responsibly by choosing less popular varieties, buying locally and only eating fish that has been caught using sustainable methods.

Fish Cookbook is the essential guide to enjoying edible fish and seafood from around the world, and a must-have companion for every kitchen!


Editor-In-Chief: CJ Jackson

Price: £20.00
Published 1st May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment