Thursday, March 17, 2011

Green Spring Cleaning Ecover Review


I was sent some of the Ecover Cleaning range to trial and I was assured by them I would be pretty impressed with their power despite being free from all the super powered chemicals we normally use to tackle grime.

I have used a lot of different products through the years mostly offering tough on dirt claims and these while delivering that, I am also aware they are tough on my skin and the planet. 

I have got a little older wiser and greener I am not making huge eco claims but glad that Ecover are as I want to put them to the test.
I love new products and seeing how they work and I was anxious to try the Limescale cleaner first.  Read Ecovers descriptions for the products, costs tips, then my opinion.


Dull limescale covered porcelain tiles and sinks, taps and basins?

Try: Ecover Limescale Remover 
 RRP £3.59 (500ml)
Use Ecover Limescale Remover to get your bathroom and kitchen limescale free. It’s chrome-friendly and is based on citric acid which is rapidly biodegradable.

Instructions for use: Spray directly onto surface and wait for a few minutes depending on limescale build-up. Rinse off with water

I first tried this as it came out of the box, I sprayed some on my kitchen taps, followed the instuctions as above, rinsed and while they were left shiny, I noticed the slight limescale was there still, a little disappointed but as I wiped the tap it all came away, really!!

So I immediately took it upstairs.
 I could not have received the Ecover to trial at a better time.
While in the bath a week before I noticed that my relatively new taps while shiny had a coat of limescale just under the tap control. 



I sprayed a coat on and waited for 3 minutes.



As you can see all but gone, I will spray another time I think just to get along the edge of the tap twist but I was amazed. Whats best is there was no scrubbing no work involved. This is plant based and actually in my opinion beats the usual product I use.
I have one slight issue and that was as I turned it to one side it leaks out product onto my hand so it has to remain upright which is a bit of a pain for applying to the underneath of a tap. I also did find this with the power cleaner later, I think the liquid collected in the nozzle guard.


Toilet needs to be fresh as well as clean?

Try: Ecover Toilet Cleaner - Ocean Waves RRP £2.00 (750ml) 



Fresh Ocean Waves Frgarance made from plant based ingredients

Its triple action: cleans, decalcifies and freshens
Its hygienic, naturally powerful, safe to use, no residue of unnecessary chemicals
Instructions for use:  Squirt a small amount into the toilet and under the toilet rim. Leave to soak for a few minutes. If needed, scrub with the toilet brush. Flush.

This does exactly what it says on the bottle, really impressive for a ntaural plant extract product. It removed all stains under the rim of the toilet  and freshened, even removed a patch of limescale too.




Grimy oven, bbq, cooker hob, extractor hood or grill?

Try: Ecover Power Cleaner*  RRP £3.87 (500ml)
Transform your oven from grimy to gleaming this spring with this powerful degreaser that consumers have found to be as effective as Cillit Bang Power Cleaner Degreaser.

Instructions for use: Spray onto surface, leave to work for 1 minute, wipe with a sponge or cloth and rinse off with water.
Top tip: This powerful spray is also ideal for cleaning up the often greasy and grubby tops of your kitchen cupboards.

Cookers hobs are my bugbear I really do not like cleaning it but cannot stand it being dirty and as I have a glass lid I can see all the sins from the days cooking, I have to clean it. I want a product that sprays on and does its work alone, no help from me. I can get on and load the dishwasher, come back and wipe away.


Ecover does it, I gave it burnt on rice starch, some crusty chilli con carne nicely black and stuck fast. This was as  a result of the top oven drying it all up as it was on for tomorrows stew.
This had also been partly cooked on the hob and fat from frying meat, flour and the odd stray onion piece. I sprayed on and it has a foam that dissipates to a watery like liquid and I felt it may not work but I then remembered that a lot of products have foaming agents anyway.


All the muck was swept away in a few wipes and I sprayed a little more and left on a touch blackened mark and that will take a few more goes but it definitely lifted slightly.
I am very well sort of stunned and read the back of the bottle, the main ingredients of this plant based cleaner are water, alcohol and lemon for scent.
Its staying.

Dull and dirty surfaces and worktops?

Try: Ecover Multi Surface Spray Cleaner* – RRP £2.39 (500ml)  Guaranteed to leave all washable surfaces sparkling clean, and twice as powerful as Ecover’s previous spray surface cleaner, this versatile spray is proven to clean as efficiently as Flash Multi Purpose Spray1 and is safe around food.

Instructions for use: Spray lightly over the surface and wipe clean. No need to rinse.

This does what it says it does, from work surfaces, shelve, sinktops and door handles, I used it and enjoyed the nice lemony fragrance it left and the cleaning ability, it even took away tea stains on the counter by just a spray and leaving for a minute. Its easy to spray on and with no need to rinse it again is a timesaver too.


Soap scum in the bathroom?

Try: Ecover Bathroom Cleaner – RRP £2.39 (500ml) – Take your bathroom from grubby to gleaming with this powerful bathroom cleaner that’s tough on soap scum and bathroom dirt. Suitable for all surfaces including glass, enamel, acrylic and chrome, Ecover Bathroom Cleaner will ensure your bathroom smells great and sparkles throughout.


Instructions for use: Spray onto surface and wipe with a dry or damp cloth. For tougher marks, leave to act for a few minutes before wiping. Rinse off with water.
 
This was another win for me, it made the bath, taps, floor and mirror all shine, it smells fresh and with no nasties I felt I did not have to rinses for ages.
The other products in the range are below, I did not get to try but going by my trial of the other five I now am in no doubt at all they will do the job they are designed for as effectively as not only the ones I tried but as good as the not so eco friendly competitiors and I will take a risk and say as good.

Dusty windows, mirrors, glass and chrome?

 Try: Ecover Window & Glass Cleaner* – RRP £2.75 (500ml) – Let the light of spring shine in and take dirty windows, mirrors, glass and chrome from dull to dazzling with Ecover’s new Window & Glass Cleaner, found to be better than Mr Muscle Window Cleaner1 on performance and finish in consumer research.
Instructions for use: Spray directly onto surface and wipe off with a soft dry cloth.
Top tip: Re-use before you recycle by using scrunched up balls of newspaper once you’ve cleaned the windows to remove any excess solution and dry the panes. Also, don't clean windows when they're in direct sunlight, as they'll dry too fast and look streaked.


Stubborn stains on floors and other hard surfaces?
Try: Ecover All Purpose Cleaner* – RRP £1.19 (500ml) – Give all hard washable surfaces a new lease of life with this great all purpose cleaner that naturally and hygienically cleans as well as Flash All Purpose Dilutable1. Great for removing stubborn marks on floors and making taps and other shiny surfaces sparkle.
Instructions for use: Use 1 to 2 capfuls in half a bucket of warm water.
Top tip: For more stubborn stains use undiluted and wash off with a soft wet cloth. For extra sparkle wipe with a dry cloth.
Ground in dirt on fridges, enamel, stainless steel, tiles and chrome?

 Try: Ecover Cream Cleaner – RRP £1.19 (500ml) – Remove obstinate stains without scratching by giving your fridge and other hard surfaces such as enamel, stainless steel, tiles and chrome, the once over with this hard working cream cleaner.
Instructions for use: Apply either directly to the surface or onto a wet sponge. Clean the surface and then rinse off.

 
Top tip: A quick scrub of Ecover Cream Cleaner is great for eliminating unattractive stains around taps as the clay and limestone content provides a gentle scouring action ideal for tackling stubborn dirt.
Ecover products are available in major supermarkets and also in health food stores. For a full list of stockists visit our ‘Where to Buy’ page on www.ecover.com







No comments:

Post a Comment